Maui whale watching season is one of the most spectacular times of the year to plan your vacation! Every winter, over 10,000 humpback whales migrate to the warm waters of Maui, offering a one-of-a-kind opportunity to see these marine mammals in their natural habitats. Epic Realty invites you to join the winter migration to witness thousands of humpback whales surfacing, tail slapping, and blowing spouts in the water.
Please keep in mind that Lahaina Harbor, the most popular whale-watching spot on the island, is still in the process of rebuilding after the August wildfires. Check updates and support our recovery by signing up for a whale-watching tour!
5 Maui Whale Watching FAQ’s:
- When is the Maui Whale Watching Season? The whale watching season lasts from December through March, with the peak month in February.
- What kind of whales are in Maui? North Pacific humpback whales are the most common in our waters, weighing 25-40 tons.
- What are the best spots for whale watching? Maui Nui Basin, a shallow ocean channel between the islands, is the prime spot for whale watching. We recommend finding a spot along the stretch of Highway 30 between Ma’alaea and Lahaina.
- Are there any regulations for whale watching? Yes, all visitors should be familiar with the 100-yard or close approach rule. It is illegal to approach humpback whales within 100 yards.
- What can I expect on a whale-watching tour? Most whale-watching tours include guaranteed sightings, naturalist guides, professional Captains, hydrophones to listen to whale songs, beverages, and snacks.
Where are the Best Maui Whale Watching Tours?
Many of Maui’s whale-watching tours are based at Lahaina Harbor and have relocated for the 2024 season due to the August wildfires:
Sign up for an eco-tour led by a marine naturalist at PacWhale Eco-Adventures! All profits from the tours support research, education, and conservation for our whales and oceans. They offer a range of whale-watching tours departing from Ma’alea Harbor!
Help Makai Adventures recover by signing up for a whale-watching tour! Due to the August wildfires, they will be providing whale-watching tours from a temporary location with an alternative boat. Please call 808-495-1001 for more information!
Ultimate Whale Watch & Snorkel
Ultimate Whale Watch has recently reopened their whale-watching tours in West Maui. Please call 808-667-5678 for more information on current tours and meeting locations.
Hawaii Ocean Rafting
Hawaii Ocean Rafting offers small-group eco-tours to experience up-close and eye-level whale encounters. This eco-friendly tour will operate with temporary vessels for this season and depart from Dive Maui Shop on Front Street.
Book Your Winter Getaway on Maui Today!
Keep In Touch
Join Our Newsletter:
Real Estate License #21010 | Broker Number #21047