As much as we love lounging on beautiful Maui beaches, the incredible landscapes of the island beckon adventure at every turn. Dormant volcanoes offer some of the best sunsets in the world while waterfalls flow from seemingly impossible heights. Exploring the West Maui hiking trails is the best way to see diverse environments and witness the outdoors like never before. The most difficult question is figuring out where to start. Hike the oldest part of Maui and read on to discover the distinct trails that make Maui no ka oi (the best)!
Hiking Trails Within 20 Minutes of Lahaina
Lahaina is one of the most visited towns in West Maui, with restaurants, shops, art galleries, and fascinating history around every corner. Stay in one of our Lahaina vacation rentals at Epic Realty, and you will be a short drive away from unforgettable trails and awe-inspiring views. From easy walks through lava fields to strenuous forest hikes, there is a West Maui hiking trail for every adventurer near Lahaina.
- Kapalua Coastal Trail: This is the perfect introductory hike for all skill levels accessed from Fleming Beach. The trail provides ocean views, fields of lava, stunning beaches, along with native plants and wildlife.
- Mahana Ridge Trail: This trail is long and strenuous, but if you are up for the challenge, this will soon be a hike you won’t forget! This trail starts at D.T. Fleming Park and will take you through forests, native plants, and past mountain views.
More Awe-Inspiring West Maui Hiking Trails
There are many West Maui hiking trails to explore if you are willing to drive a bit further from Lahaina. Witness the wonder of Makamakaole Falls or the towering peaks of Iao Valley on these trails:
- Waihe’e Ridge Trail: This popular trail in the West Maui Forest Reserve offers some of the best views on the island. Take in views of Makamakaole Falls in the distance, along with rainforest valleys and incredible West Maui mountain views.
- Iao Valley Needle Lookout Trail: See spectacular Maui views on a paved walking trail suited for all ages and skill levels. This half-mile hike ends at a scenic viewpoint of Iao Needle, one of the most famous landmarks on Maui.
- Ohai Trail: This trail loop is just over a mile but is an excellent way to see several sights in one outing. On the trail, you can see views of the ocean, mountains, sea cliffs, and humpback whales in the winter.
Unmatched Maui Views from Epic Condos
The West Maui hiking trails are genuinely something you have to see to believe. Hiking is the best way to get up close and marvel at the picturesque landscapes of the island. Whether you want to hike past towering mountains or watch humpback whales, there are endless ways to explore Maui. After a day of adventure, return to Epic Realty and enjoy even more scenic views from your vacation rental. Relax for a spectacular sunset on your private balcony and take advantage of fantastic resort amenities. Join us for an epic Maui getaway and explore everything the island has to offer on these unforgettable hikes!
Real Estate License #21010 | Broker Number #21047